|Published:||Nov 16, 2012 10:16 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 16, 2012 10:16 AM EST|
FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) - Republican U.S. Rep. Allen West is asking a judge to order a recount of more than 37,000 ballots as he contests the apparent victory by Democrat Patrick Murphy.
A St. Lucie County judge is hearing arguments Friday afternoon. It was not immediately clear when the judge will rule.
Unofficial returns show Murphy ahead of West by just over 1,900 votes in the 18th District. That includes parts of Martin, St. Lucie and Palm Beach counties.
A conservative favorite with a national following, West has refused to concede. His attorneys claim problems with counting of early votes in St. Lucie County are enough to warrant a full recount in that county.
Counties must file certified election results with the state by noon Sunday.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Suspect in custody after Orlando-area school shooting
- 'Hazmat situation' determined not suspicious
- Support for smack cam victim grows, victim responds
- Water main break blocks Hancock Bridge Pkwy near US 41
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral