|Published:||Nov 15, 2012 2:03 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 15, 2012 2:03 PM EST|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Lee County Sheriffs deputies seized more than 25 lbs. of marijuana found in a vehicle being hauled from California.
On Thursday, detectives with the Highway Interdiction Unit stopped a commercial car hauler on I-75 for a traffic violation in Bonita Springs.
The commercial vehicle contained a 1996 Chevrolet Impala SS that was being shipped to Opa Locka, Florida from California.
During the stop, a narcotics canine was utilized to conduct a free air sniff of the truck and the canine alerted to the presence of narcotics in the transport vehicle. Inside the trunk of the Chevrolet Impala detectives discovered five spare tires. Upon closer inspection of the tires, it appeared that the tires were loaded with contraband. After taking the tires to a local tire shop, it was discovered that each tire contained approximately five pounds of high grade marijuana originating out of California.
Total amount of marijuana seized was 25.2 lbs.
The investigation is continuing at this time and the Chevrolet Impala is being seized for forfeiture.
Anyone with information related to this felony crime is asked to contact the Lee County Sheriff's Office at 477-1000 or, to remain anonymous and be eligible for a reward up to $1,000 dollars, Southwest Florida Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS (8477). Tips may also be made online at www.swflcrimestoppers.org via text to CRIMES (274637) Keyword: REWARD or through the TipSubmit app on any Smart phone.
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Neighbors saw red flags ahead of animal cruelty arrest
- Fire officials say radios need upgrades by 2017
- Three hospitalized after early morning Cape Coral crash
- Local repairman fixes broken Cape Coral clock for free
- Lee deputies searching for 7-Eleven robber
- Republican candidates take part in forum in Coliler County
- Lee deputies investigating shooting on Bokeelia