|Published:||Nov 14, 2012 6:20 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 14, 2012 6:48 PM EST|
NAPLES, Fla.- At 17 years old, Austin Williamson has made history for his high school after signing a letter of intent to play college basketball at West Point.
At 6'8", Williamson has amassed more than 1,000 points in his high school career at First Baptist Academy in Naples.
Wednesday, the 230 pound center agreed to play his college hoops for the United States Military Academy at West Point (Army), donning his new cap in front of a gymnasium full of cheering peers and family members.
By signing his letter of intent, Austin is the first First Baptist Academy basketball player to earn a collegiate scholarship and the first student to be accepted to a service academy.
The senior plans to graduate with a 4.0 GPA in May and will ship off to cadet basic training the first week of July.
- Cape Coral man arrested for child neglect
- Deadly motorcycle crash in Lehigh Acres
- SWFL gathering Saturday to support elderly smack cam victim
- Man catches dog thief in the act
- U.S. 41 Northbound Blocked near Andrea Lane
- Naples beach renourishment project set to wrap up next week
- Homeless chilren create Pictures of Hope