|Published:||Nov 14, 2012 12:56 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 14, 2012 4:47 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- With just a week until Thanksgiving, families in need are hoping, with the community's help, they'll have a turkey on their tables. The St. Matthew's House in Naples are one of the organizations making sure everyone can enjoy the holiday and it starts today.
Everyone knows the story of Thanksgiving: the Pilgrims, the Indians, and a celebration of a successful harvest. Fast forward 2012, where many people are without jobs and without food for their families.
"The working poor continues to struggle," said Vann Ellison.
Vann Ellison, the President and CEO of St. Matthew's House, says they will help these families celebrate the holiday with a turkey on their table.
"Really to feel the love and support and be able to set up those family times so they can make memories for their kids," said Ellison.
Thousands of turkeys will be donate to needy families, from donations from the community. On Wednesday, people waited for hours to sign their family up to receive a turkey and all the fixin's.
"We believe it's going to be more than its ever been. We expect to serve over two thousand families," said Ellison.
Including Karen Jlaueer's family.
"It means I can help my family with their turkey and stuff, and they don't make that much money and neither do I," said Jlaueer.
And the people in Eva Serrano's life.
"Well it means a lot, because one time I had, not that I don't have now, but what I have, I share," said Serrano.
If you're interested in donating, they need turkeys and all the traditonal side items, like canned green beans, cranberry sauce, boxed potatoes and stuffing. Items can be brought to the thrift stores or their location on Aiport Pulling Road. They'll start handing out the food on Monday.
- I-75 south lanes closed near Sarasota after crash
- Snitch Stoppers 239 founder arrested on drug charges
- Lehigh double murder suspect who fled will return to SWFL
- Fire breaks out at home where search warrant was served
- Police: Driver hits biker, drives with him on car
- Surveillance camera catches Citgo robbery suspect in the act
- Naples Botanical Garden Night Lights kicks off tonight
- iGeneration Charter School in Immokalee shuts down
- Service planned to remember missing Fla. mom, kids
- Soldier surprises his children in time for Christmas