|Published:||Nov 13, 2012 8:15 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 13, 2012 8:15 AM EST|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - The election brought a first to Broward County - an all-woman school board.
Abby Freedman and Rosalind Osgood won their run-off elections last week and will join six women incumbents on the board Nov. 20.
The South Florida SunSentinel reports Broward is the only district in the nation's 10 largest to have an all-woman board. Broward is the nation's sixth largest school district.
The newspaper says 10 male candidates sought positions on the school board and two made it to run off races against Osgood and Freedman.
Board members told the newspaper they don't expect gender to play a significant role in decision-making.
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- Golisano Children's Hospital holds ceremonial groundbreaking
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Historic central Fla. house moved on barge
- Fla. man guilty in taxi, food delivery robberies
- USDA predicts smaller citrus crop in Florida
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite