|Published:||Nov 13, 2012 8:15 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 13, 2012 8:15 AM EST|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - The election brought a first to Broward County - an all-woman school board.
Abby Freedman and Rosalind Osgood won their run-off elections last week and will join six women incumbents on the board Nov. 20.
The South Florida SunSentinel reports Broward is the only district in the nation's 10 largest to have an all-woman board. Broward is the nation's sixth largest school district.
The newspaper says 10 male candidates sought positions on the school board and two made it to run off races against Osgood and Freedman.
Board members told the newspaper they don't expect gender to play a significant role in decision-making.
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- Vehicles flee the scene after seriously injuring pedestrian
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- LCSO: Hohensee died from self-inflicted gun shot wound
- CCSO searches for missing 23 y/o Golden Gate woman
- Man finds drugs in a safe in front of his Pt. Charlotte home
- A look at the dangers of riding a motorcycle
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic