|Published:||Nov 12, 2012 10:08 AM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 12, 2012 10:08 AM EST|
PLANTATION, Fla. (AP) - The state fire marshal says careless smoking sparked a fire that displaced 25 families living in a South Florida apartment building.
Battalion Chief Joel Gordon says an occupant in the Plantation apartment where the fire started admitted he had been smoking. Gordon tells the Sun Sentinel (http://bitly.com/SWxdcs) that the resident's attempt to extinguish the fire himself delayed a call to 911.
Officials say the fire was confined to two apartments. At least seven other apartments in the three-story building were damaged by smoke and water.
Gordon says that because the building wasn't required to have a sprinkler system, firefighters had to hoist hoses to the third floor to fight the blaze.
Information from: South Florida Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), http://www.sun sentinel.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Family hospitalized after eating meat with LSD
- Cape police arrest 2nd suspect in child neglect case
- Man accused of killing dog with pickaxe appears in court
- Man posts Facebook video of himself jumping on manatees
- CCSO: Woman uses stolen credit card to buy TV
- Cape woman at center of life support controversy passes away
- Fmr Cape resident accused of attempted sex trafficking
- Music Man Redux - Teacher needs instruments for good cause
- Woman, 97, hit by trooper dies of injuries
- Car drives into hole in Cape Coral