|Published:||Nov 07, 2012 6:15 PM EST|
|Updated:||Nov 07, 2012 6:17 PM EST|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla.- Collier County boosted the highest voting turnout in the sate, with 83percent.
The county also set a new record for Collier with about 150,000 ballots cast.
Election day went very smoothly in Collier County, compared to many problems and long lines in Lee County.
Election officials say one reason, is they reduced the ballot from 4 pages to 3.
Deputy Elections Supervisor Tim Durham says, "one kinda huge thing for us was getting the ballot reduced from four pages to three. When you think about the practicality of that, a four page ballot is going to take longer to scan, longer to vote, and the logistics, paper cost, all that. Early on, one of the first things we did was get permission from the Division of Elections to rearrange some of the races on the ballot. We moved the school board referendum ahead of the constitutional amendments and that saved us a whole ballot page."
He also says election workers were well-prepared for what to expect at the polls. "I think all our people knew what could happen. For our election day workers, just before going out on Tuesday we provided a report of how many max voters could potentially show up at their polling place and I think that gave them a little bit of comfort."
Collier County had 60 voting locations and 120 ballot scanners deployed among those locations. Durham says, "We had sites where a terrific number of voters had already voted before Election Day, but the bigger sites like at Golden Gate Community Center, there were 4 optical scanners there."
He says about two-thirds of the people who voted, voted early or by absentee, and that helped keep lines short as well.
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast, travel dicey
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 dead after shooting at Miami barbershop
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- Panther found dead of suspected gunshot wound