ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a St. Petersburg police officer fatally shot an armed robbery suspect outside a convenience store.
The shooting happened about 1 a.m. Tuesday as a police crime analysis team was investigating a pattern of commercial burglaries. Officers spotting a robbery in progress at a 7-11 store.
According to police, a man and a woman robbed two clerks of cash and ran behind the building. One of the suspects was carrying a long shotgun. A detective turned into the alley behind the store and a confrontation took place with the armed suspect before the officer fired several rounds at the man.
The suspect died at the scene. The woman hid under a nearby Jeep but police found her. A K-9 bit her as she was taken into custody.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Shooting investigation in North Fort Myers
- Group protests taxes in Cape Coral by a 'Call to Arms'
- Woman accused of faking sons' deaths won't face jail time
- Small Fla. city anxious to learn jackpot winner
- Truck carrying mulch rolls over at Colonial & Plantation
- Jungle Golf fundraiser putts for patriots
- FMPD on the scene at Bernwood Cove Apartments
- Baby found, father charged in South Fla.
- 2 bodies found in Chassahowitzka Forest in Fla.
- Deputies: Bartender, 3 patrons sliced by angry man