MULBERRY, Fla. (AP) - A Polk County Sheriff's deputy was shot while responding to an attempted suicide call in Mulberry.
According to the sheriff's office, 47-year-old Deputy Terry Storie and other deputies reported hearing gunshots when they arrived at the home Sunday afternoon. Storie took cover behind a patrol car and a bullet hit the ground, then ricocheted and hit him in the leg. He was treated and released from the hospital.
Sheriff Grady Judd says 42-year-old Doug Meadows kicked his wife out of the house shortly after deputies arrived. That's when he started shooting though the windows.
Meadows surrendered to deputies after they shot gas and pepper spray inside. He faces numerous charges including the attempted first degree murder of a law enforcement officer. Jail records do not list an attorney for Meadows.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- Local bar named Best beach bar in America
- Venturi, US Open champion and CBS analyst, dies
- FMPD forced to pay back overtime
- Record tourist season adds 1,700 hospitality jobs in Collier
- Naples tops 'Healthy Living' poll
- Fl construction adds jobs