|Published:||Nov 01, 2012 10:12 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Nov 01, 2012 11:03 AM EDT|
MIAMI (AP) - A judge ordered a 72-year-old Miami man to serve 10 years in prison for a 2009 hit-and-run crash that killed a businessman.
The Miami Herald (http://hrld.us/RtXG11 ) reports Charles Bible will also serve 10 years of probation in the death of 36-year-old Rudy Garmendia. Garmendia's family agreed to Wednesday's plea deal to spare his family of the "gruesome details" of his death.
Authorities say Garmendia was changing a flat tire on the Dolphin Expressway when he was hit by Bible's truck. Bible fled but the Florida Highway Patrol found his truck within an hour.
The Herald reports Bible was shaking and struggling to speak in court as he apologized to the family.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Cape PD warns residents of housing scam
- 3 dead after plane crashes into Jacksonville pond
- Holiday event raises funds for non-profit spay/neuter clinic
- Florida skydiver falls with tangled parachute
- Woman allegedly threatened to shoot man as he walked his dog
- 3 headliners cancel music performances at SeaWorld
- Lee County Sheriff's deputies investigating copper theft
- NTSB releases preliminary report on Fla. jet crash