|Published:||Oct 31, 2012 6:23 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 31, 2012 6:23 PM EDT|
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a suspect was shot by a police officer during a South Florida drug sting.
West Palm Beach police say 35-year-old Authneil Gavin, 32-year-old Dwayne Morgan and 42-year-old Kayon James were meeting with undercover agents Monday to buy more than $10,000 worth of marijuana.
Police say the deal went bad when the suspects tried to steal the drugs, and other officers in a surveillance team rushed the scene. Authorities say Gavin tried to shoot one of the undercover officers, but the gun didn't fire. He continued to aim his gun at officers as he fled, and an officer shot him several times.
The Palm Beach Post (http://bit.ly/QUVGNM) reports that Gavin was treated at a local hospital before being taken to jail.
The officer who shot Gavin has been placed on paid administrative leave.
Information from: The Palm Beach (Fla.) Post, http://www.pbpost.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Hostage situation ends in house fire, man found dead inside
- Ft. Myers man dies in New Jersey crash, wife critically hurt
- FWC relocates largest black bear captured in Fla.
- Sun Splash Waterpark begins summer hours Friday
- Desoto officials search for missing Nocatee man
- Union vote set for some Lee Co. government workers
- Investigation determines electrical problems caused bus fire
- Crash with injuries on Veterans at Chiquita blocks traffic
- Island Park brush fire remains mostly contained
- Salvation Army of Fla. assists Oklahoma tornado victims