|Published:||Oct 30, 2012 10:17 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 30, 2012 10:17 AM EDT|
HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) - A Hollywood police officer was critically injured when he tried to stop two speeding motorcycles near Memorial Regional Hospital.
Officials say it was unclear whether there was any contact Monday afternoon between 43-year-old Armando Silva and the two motorcyclists. Both fled the scene after the crash.
Silva has been with the police department for 18 years and has spent a decade in the motorcycle division.
The South Florida SunSentinel (bitly.com/SpvahH ) reports police were looking at surveillance video to see if they can get the license place numbers off the motorcycles.
Over the weekend, an off-duty Sweetwater officer died in a motorcycle crash. A Broward Sheriff's deputy died Sept. 26 after a crash involving his motorcycle.
Information from: South Florida Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.), http://www.sun sentinel.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks