|Published:||Oct 30, 2012 12:04 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 30, 2012 12:46 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla.- An early morning fire on Monday caused an estimated $150,000 in damage to a Southeast Cape Coral home. The fire was attributed to a possible electrical overload.
Around 3:30 a.m., firefighters responded to a 911 call reporting a structure fire at 925 SE 4th Place. Upon arrival, fire crews found the garage engulfed in flames and smoke throughout the home. With assistance from the police, all five occupants were evacuated from the smoke-filled structure. Fire crews were able to bring the blaze under control within 30 minutes, even with the presence of hurricane shutters, which blocked access to many of the windows.
Firefighters rescued two of the family’s five cats that were trapped in the home, and the three remaining cats later were found alive and hiding. Two dogs also were evacuated safely from the home.
A fire inspector arrived on scene and determined that the fire started around the front of the garage. An outside electrical cord lying in mulch was connected under the garage door to timers attached to a breaker box in the garage. The electrical connection appeared to be powering outdoor Halloween decorations.
The Red Cross and LCEC responded to the residence to assist.
The hurricane shutters on the home were a source of serious concern for the City’s Fire Department.
“We encourage our residents to remove hurricane shutters unless there is an imminent storm threat to our city,” said Fire Chief Bill Van Helden. “Covering windows with hurricane panels not only prevents firefighters from being able to effectively attack a residential fire, it also blocks points of escape for the occupants of the home.”
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- Teacher accused of relationship with 18 y/o student resigns
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified