|Published:||Oct 29, 2012 10:09 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 29, 2012 10:09 AM EDT|
SWEETWATER, Fla. (AP) - An off-duty police officer has died after his motorcycle hit a guardrail on a South Florida highway.
City spokeswoman Michelle Hammontree-Garcia says strong winds may have contributed to the crash Sunday that killed Sweetwater Police Officer Bryan Marrero.
Hammontree-Garcia says Marrero's motorcycle hit a guardrail on Interstate 75, throwing him into the air. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Marrero was in his second year as a police officer. Hammontree-Garcia says Marrero was riding his personal motorcycle. Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
Sweetwater Mayor Manuel Marono says Marrero was "a cop's cop" who worked on his days off to help other officers.
Marrero's mother worked for the chief of police until she died two years ago. His older brother also is a Sweetwater police officer.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Collier school district approves new cyberbullying policy
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- Woman works to improve the Dunbar community
- FMB holds election for Town Council members