|Published:||Oct 29, 2012 4:50 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 29, 2012 5:29 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Cape Coral family is safe after a fire spread through their home Monday morning.
According to firefighters, it happened around 3:30 in the 900 block of SE 4th Place and is believed to have been electrical in nature.
Firefighters note there were several Halloween decorations plugged in out front at the time, but they still aren't sure if it started inside or outside the garage. They say it most likely started near a breaker box.
The home is known in the area as an attraction during Halloween and Christmas.
Debbie Yasbeck, the homeowner, woke up and was alerted to the fire when the family dog began barking. Yasbeck said she escaped the home with her husband, sister, 5-year-old nephew, and elderly mother.
Yasbeck said her nephew has minor smoke inhalation. Some pets made it out as well, but some are still missing. Firefighters said Officer Justin Hearn, with Cape Coral police, is doing fine after being treated for smoke inhalation. He is credited with carrying one of the family members to safety.
The home is reportedly a total loss.
According to firefighters, the storm shutters were still on the house, which posed some issues in getting people out and fighting the fire.
Neighbors are offering support to the family, who will stay in a hotel in the meantime.
- Cab driver saves family from mobile home fire
- Boil water notice in effect after N. Ft. Myers main break
- School bus catches fire in Lehigh Acres
- No charges in Jameis Winston sex assault case
- Kohl's keeps doors open 'round the clock until Christmas Eve
- Officials: At least 20 whales in deeper water
- Miami man allegedly hid drugs in truck's door panel
- Oma's Heart to give out last vouchers for holiday toys
- Cape Coral FD investigates meth lab found in the woods
- EXCLUSIVE: Watlington family looking ahead, but still grieve