|Published:||Oct 28, 2012 9:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 28, 2012 9:28 PM EDT|
OLDSMAR, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say an 18-year-old is charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of his mother and her boyfriend.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says Benjamin Bishop told investigators that he shot his mother, Imari Shibata, and her boyfriend, Kelley Allen, early Sunday following a serious of arguments.
Detectives say Bishop called 911 after the shootings and surrendered without incident.
According to detectives, Bishop shot the victims with a shotgun he asked a friend to buy him so he could protect himself from gang members. Bishop couldn't buy the gun himself because he was on probation for a domestic battery incident involving Shibata.
Sheriff's spokeswoman Marianna Pasha says Bishop is on medication for mental health issues.
Bishop was held without bond Sunday. Jail records didn't show whether he had an attorney.
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- LCSO detectives search for gas station burglary suspect
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- School board approves new superintendent's contract
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI