|Published:||Oct 26, 2012 10:27 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 26, 2012 10:27 AM EDT|
BARTOW, Fla. (AP) - A central Florida stepfather has been sentenced to 40 years in prison for killing his infant son two years ago.
Before the judge issued his ruling on Thursday, Ryan Clarke apologized to the relatives of 7-month-old Mark Ward, saying he would take it back if he could. The child's grandmother called Clarke a "devil" and urged the judge to give him the maximum sentence allowed, which was 40 years.
Police say Clarke was watching the baby at his mother-in-law's home on March 6, 2010. The Ledger of Lakeland (http://bit.ly/Y2s9o3 ) reports Clarke later told police he lost control when the child was crying and banged his head against the wall four times. Doctors later determined the baby had a fractured skull and was bleeding on the brain.
Information from: The Ledger (Lakeland, Fla.), http://www.theledger.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Charlotte County
- U.S. Rep Connie Mack announces divorce
- Burglary suspect casually takes items from unlocked vehicle
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Gov. warns schools he will fight tuition hikes
- Naples paddleboard club rides to help Oklahoma
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident