|Published:||Oct 25, 2012 10:25 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 25, 2012 10:25 AM EDT|
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a 50-year-old Jacksonville man faces animal cruelty charges after a pit bull was beaten with a pipe because she ate a pet bird.
Richard Dennis Poehler was arrested Tuesday, three weeks after the dog was found abandoned and wounded.
The dog is recovering from a shattered skull at the Jacksonville Humane Society.
The Florida Times-Union (http://bit.ly/Ri6gzL ) reports the dog - named Lizzy Borden - belongs to 38-year-old Melissa Floyd, who lived with Poehler and his girlfriend. She says she left Lizzy on Oct. 4 with the understanding that the girlfriend would watch her. When she called to check on the dog, she heard Poehler yelling that he was going to shoot the bird because it ate his bird.
Sheriff's officials say Lizzy was abandoned on a road.
Information from: The (Jacksonville) Florida Times-Union, http://www.jacksonville.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man linked to Pt. Charlotte accused in wife's death
- 2 Cape Coral men accused of battery on an FHP officer
- Punta Gorda victim of theft follows and detains suspect
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- CCSO: no reason to believe accused murderer heading to SWFL
- Man who rescued motorcycle rider, killed in crash on Friday
- Sentencing delayed for Tampa abortion drug case
- Redmond HIV case could be thrown out under Fla. law
- SAO drops grand theft charge against fmr. commissioner
- APNewsBreak: Fla. congressman lost $18M in scheme