|Published:||Oct 25, 2012 9:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 26, 2012 12:43 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - Four days after a new road opened in Fort Myers, there have already been two crashes. One man is in critical condition. Now an attorney is stepping in saying changes must be made at the intersection of Metro Parkway Extension and Briarcliff Road.
Not even twenty-four hours after the opening of the Metro Parkway Extension, there was trouble. Monday, the Lee County Sheriff's Office says an SUV heading east on Briarcliff Road pulled out into the intersection, and into the path of David Vanaman's scooter. Trying to avoid it, Vanaman crashed, suffering brain damage, skull and shoulder fractures, and injuries to the entire left side of his body.
On Wednesday, there was another crash in the same place. This time, there were no injuries. Personal injury attorney Randall Spivey, who's representing Vanaman, is calling for immediate action.
"It looks like there were failures at multiple levels," Spivey said.
According to Spivey, without a traffic light at the intersection, drivers on Briarcliff Road are forced to dodge traffic as they cross six lanes.
"The family wants immediate changes made to that intersection because this accident could have been prevented with lighting at the intersection even temporary traffic signals," Spivey said.
Neighbors like Jayma Gillaspie who live near the intersection agree. "I don't like to feel like I'm shooting the gap there. I don't like that," Gillaspie said.
As for David Vanaman, who is a pastor, a school bus driver, and a father of nine, there is a glimmer of hope. Doctors briefly took him out of the medically-induced coma, and he showed signs of response.
"The Vanaman family is thanking the community for all of their prayers," Spivey said.
We brought Spivey's concerns to the Department of Transportation. Since it was after hours, Spokesperson Debbie Tower says staff will review them tomorrow.
- Rep. Trey Radel leaves Naples rehabilitation center
- Cape murder/attempted suicide suspect released from hospital
- Man fatally shot in strip club parking lot
- Teen allegedly behind 'smack cam' video appears in court
- Man with SWFL ties makes FBI Most Wanted list
- Car crashes into it Cape Coral home
- Crash at controversial intersection with new traffic light
- 1 Florida Lotto player wins $46 million jackpot
- United Airlines begins non-stop service from RSW to Denver
- Investigators say mom is to blame for son's drowning death