|Published:||Oct 22, 2012 10:28 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 22, 2012 10:28 AM EDT|
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Rescue workers and police officers found a scene of total chaos after the floor of a second-floor apartment in Tallahassee collapsed, spilling party-goers into the clubhouse below.
The Tallahassee Democrat (http://on.tdo.com/RPgk0o ) reports investigators still don't know what caused the floor to give way at the Seminole Grand penthouse early Sunday. Officials say 55 people were injured.
City inspectors and other officials plan to comb through the rubble Monday to try to learn what happened. Damage is estimated at $250,000.
Officials say about 100 people were thought to have been inside the four-bedroom apartment when the floor gave way.
Tallahassee police spokeswoman Anitra Highland says most of the injuries were "broken bones and sprains."
The apartment complex was built in 1995 and is comprised of nearly 40 buildings on 44 acres.
Information from: Tallahassee (Fla.) Democrat, http://www.tdo.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings spotted in SC
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks