|Published:||Oct 19, 2012 3:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 19, 2012 4:36 PM EDT|
PUNTA GORDA, Fla.- Melissa Bailey was sentenced to two concurrent life sentences on Friday after being found guilty of sexual assault on an 18-month-old child in August. Bailey was also sentenced to an additional 35 years.
Her attorney, Joe Lombardo, plans to appeal.
Bailey's defense tried, unsuccessfully, to argue for an insanity plea during the trial, based on brain surgery Bailey had as a child.
Her boyfriend at the time, Glenn Nelson, took a plea deal for his involvement in the case and is serving time in state prison.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Investigators: suspect lit flares in attic of Gateway home
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Charlotte County
- Burglary suspect casually takes items from unlocked vehicle