|Published:||Oct 19, 2012 3:28 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 19, 2012 4:36 PM EDT|
PUNTA GORDA, Fla.- Melissa Bailey was sentenced to two concurrent life sentences on Friday after being found guilty of sexual assault on an 18-month-old child in August. Bailey was also sentenced to an additional 35 years.
Her attorney, Joe Lombardo, plans to appeal.
Bailey's defense tried, unsuccessfully, to argue for an insanity plea during the trial, based on brain surgery Bailey had as a child.
Her boyfriend at the time, Glenn Nelson, took a plea deal for his involvement in the case and is serving time in state prison.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- 'Magic' Johnson to speak at Quality Life Center fundraiser
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim