|Published:||Oct 18, 2012 9:20 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 18, 2012 10:57 PM EDT|
IMMOKALEE, Fla -- A story making national headlines hits close to home for one local man. Immokalee head coach Jerrod Ackley is a former student and coach at Idaho State.
That is where current head coach Mike Kramer is now facing criminal charges for pushing Senior wide receiver Derek Graves to the ground during practice.
"I thought it was unfortunate. It's never okay for a coach to put his hands on a player," says Jerrod Ackley. The Immokalee football head coach went to school at Idaho State and spent a year on the coaching staff in 2008.
"Unfortunately most of the publicity Idaho State gets is negative. Their football program has struggled for a really long time and i know it's a tough place to coach. There are a lot of things that work against you," says Ackley
The shove took place during practice on October 3, but the video was just released this week by ESPN after criminal charges were filed by the player.
"I think everyone needs to be aware a two second video only tells a very quick part of an entire story. We don't know what had gone on with the coach and the player before," says Ackley.
Graves says he has suffered from neck and back spasms since the incident. "College football is a very very violent game and I'm sure he's had a lot worse things happen to him during a game so I do question the motives of everything. That being said it's not excusable to put your hands on a player."
Coach Kramer will be on the sidelines Saturday. Both the local police department and officials at Idaho State are investigating the incident.
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Communications satellite launched into space