|Published:||Oct 18, 2012 2:02 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 18, 2012 9:49 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla. - Crews are making the final preparations for Republican Vice Presidential contender Paul Ryan's visit to Southwest Florida. He'll be making two stops in our area, first, appearing at a private fundraiser in North Naples, then speaking at the Lee County Sports Complex.
He'll be accompanied by some big names. We've just confirmed that country singer Lee Greenwood, known for his song "God Bless the USA" will be making an appearance, as will comedian Dennis Miller.
Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi will introduce Paul Ryan, and other local politicians like Fort Myers Mayor Randy Henderson are scheduled to speak as well.
Wednesday night, crews were checking lights, testing speakers, and positioning banners for Thursday night's event.
In addition, more than a hundred volunteers gathered to go over their roles. They're handling everything from registration, to parking, to crowd control and security.
"I'm one of the percentage that isn't even in the jobs unemployment number, and I've been looking for work for two years," volunteer Kim Folger said, "so I volunteered for the Republican victory office in South Fort Myers. We have a tremendous group out here tonight so it's a good sign."
The gates at the Lee County Sports Complex open Thursday at 4:00 p.m., and Paul Ryan will speak at 7:15 p.m. Tickets can be reserved online. You can get yours a mittromney.com/states/florida.
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Southbound I-75 reopens after rollover crash near Colonial
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- Invalid DL leads to Port Charlotte drug arrest
- Boil water notice in effect after Cape water main break
- Man accused in 2012 Three Oaks murder appears in court