|Published:||Oct 15, 2012 11:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 16, 2012 12:08 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fl. - Rescue teams on the way to an emergency, end up needing rescue themselves. The tables turned when a driver t-boned their ambulance.
It happened at and Corkscrew and Ben Hill Griffin Parkway in Estero.
"Shock of course... I hope nobody got hurt, I hope everybody's okay," says Charlotte McLaughlin.
Charlotte McLaughlin lives in the neighborhood where this ambulance was going. Her son is a fire fighter, so seeing a crash like this makes her think twice the next time she gets behind the wheel
"I'm going to take a little bit more time as I'm driving around, I'm probably as big an offender as anybody and take my time and watch both ways especially at this corner," she adds.
"This is what happens when people don't yield to the right of way of emergency vehicles when they come into intersections," says Sgt. Daniel Taylor with FHP.
He says Alain Charlot was driving eastboud on Corkscrew Road when he crashed into the side of this ambulance not yielding to its sirens.
"When ppl get to green lights, they're not thinking, the only thing they think is going from point a to point b, they dont think about intersections where ems could be coming out," he says.
"It's very uncommon for an ambulance to be involved, usually they're monor accidents nothing this major," says Lt. Bruce Collins with Lee COunty EMS.
He says, while he doesn't see this often, no calls were in jeopardy of going unanswered.
"We're running 90,000 calls plus a year and that's a lot of ambulances moving a lot of different directions, we just move them from one area to another so when we have somerthing going lie this we can fill in the blank spots, when we have one down we just bring another one in," he says.
- Police arrest man who crashed his car into Cape canal
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Crist defends President Obama, blasts Scott
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash
- CCSO investigates Waffle House armed robbery
- Men allegedly point guns at FMPD officers
- Security plans for Boston Marathon to be detailed
- Woman dies after driving into pond