|Published:||Oct 13, 2012 8:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 14, 2012 10:43 AM EDT|
COLLIER COUNTY, Fla. - Florida Highway Patrol investigators say a Boyton Beach mom drank 3 1/2 bottles of wine before taking her kids on a dangerous road trip that ended in Southwest Florida.
Janet Malizia, 49, was arrested in Collier County Friday night after a hit and run crash on I-75.
When troopers caught up to her, they found her two children crying inside the car. One of the children told troopers their mother had purchased 5 bottles of wine at a gas station on the east coast, before hitting the road.
FHP says Malizia failed a field sobriety test, then later confessed that she knew it was wrong to be drinking while driving.
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- WINK News gets Collier call center employees back pay
- Cape Coral Elks Lodge forced to shut its doors
- Four Lee County Schools will have extended hours in January
- Red drift algae could pile up on SWFL beaches in 2014
- Closing of Fla. power plant will take 60 years
- Real life grinch steals Christmas stockings
- Collier Co. begins looking for land to build soccer complex
- Teacher accused of having relationship with student
- Man bitten by shark in foot in Cocoa Beach