|Published:||Oct 11, 2012 10:44 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 11, 2012 7:36 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. -- One woman remains in critical condition, after a serious crash sent her car flying into a Cape Coral canal.
It happened near Andalusia Boulevard and Northeast 12th street, and it took dive teams hours to pull the car out.
A mangled mess of metal remains after a collision cripples two cars in Cape Coral. Lindsay Luft lives nearby and watched as crews worked to pull the maroon car out of the canal.
"Craziness! I can't believe how just quick and in like the blink of an eye something like that can happen," she said.
Police say the driver of the maroon car is Gilian Crosdale.
They say she was driving south on Andalusia when the driver of the white Toyota Corolla, Madison Schiel pulled out from Northeast 12th Street.
Both women collided. The impact sent Crosdale in her Sonata flying through a field before plunging into the canal where police say the car was submerged for ten minutes before divers got her out.
She was unresponsive and remains at Cape Coral Hospital in critical condition.
The crash blocked the road for hours. "It was just before 7:30." Screaming sirens woke up neighbor Mark Oloughlin who came outside to watch crews in action."Somebody wasn't paying attention to what they were doing, I think. there's a lot of that, that goes on here," he said.
The other driver suffered minor injuries.
Police believe this crash is drug and or alcohol related and the case is under criminal investigation.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Man who lost leg to propeller unable to reach settlement
- Study shows foreclosure numbers down, job growth up in SWFL
- Five years fatality free: Florida set to break gator record
- Sun-N-Fun Lagoon opens for Collier schools' winter break