|Published:||Oct 11, 2012 12:24 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 11, 2012 12:24 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Neighbors of Jesse Watlington gathered at JetBlue Park tonight-- to raise money for his family. Watlington died, after he was struck by lightning while running onto the football field last week.
On Wednesday night, the Florida Knights soccer program asked their athletes to wear purple in Jesse's honor. Some coaches and athletes also put the number 51 on the back of their shirts in his memory. Jesse was not involved with Florida Knights soccer, but some of the families involved in the program knew him.
Another group is also helping the Watlington family cover medical and funeral costs. Gateway Gives is a neighborhood non profit that will collect money at Gateway soccer games on Saturday, October 6th from 8 till 12 and at Gateway Flag Football from 6:30 to 8:30 that same night.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school
- Toy drive sign ups end Friday for Collier Salvation Army
- Man accused in 2 killings attempts jail escape