|Published:||Oct 09, 2012 1:58 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 09, 2012 2:00 PM EDT|
CAPE CORAL, Fla. -- The Cape Coral Fire Department will be hosting open houses at the department’s 10 fire stations in the city on Saturday, October 13 from 9 a.m. to noon. The open houses are part of National Fire Prevention Week from October 7 – 13 and also are part of the year-long celebration honoring the Cape Coral Fire Department’s 50th anniversary.
“This is an opportunity for our citizens to visit a nearby fire station, meet their local firefighters and see up close the fire equipment we use every day to save lives,” said Cape Fire Chief Bill Van Helden. “Citizens also can learn valuable safety precautions to follow to ensure their family’s safety in the event of a fire.”
“Be Rabbit Ready, Have Two Ways Out!”is this year’s campaign theme, which focuses on having a tried and true escape plan with two ways out of your home. The Cape Coral Fire Department recommends the following tips for planning your family’s escape:
- Make a map of your home. Mark a door and a window that can be used to get out of every room.
- Choose a meeting place outside in front of your home. This is where everyone can meet once they have escaped. Draw a picture of your outside meeting place on your escape plan.
- Have an adult sound the smoke alarm, and practice your escape plan with everyone who lives in your home.
- Keep your escape plan on the refrigerator and remember to have your family practice the plan twice a year or whenever anyone in your home celebrates a birthday.
All visitors to the fire stations are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item for the Cape Coral Caring Center Food Pantry. Donations will be accepted throughout the month of October at all 10 Cape fire stations. The donations will be delivered to the Caring Center to help feed our neighbors during the upcoming holidays.
Parents are encouraged to bring their cameras with them to the open houses as firefighters will be available to take pictures with the kids and the fire trucks.
Here are the locations of the Cape Coral fire stations:
Station #1 4610 Coronado Parkway
Station #2 701 Nicholas Parkway
Station #3 1627 Everest Parkway
Station #4 2007 Santa Barbara Blvd.
Station #5 1029 Diplomat Parkway
Station #6 4540 Chiquita Blvd
Station #7 3942 Burnt Store Road N.
Station #8 707 SW 1st Street
Station #9 4107 Pelican Blvd
Station #10 3623 Gator Circle West
- Early morning crash on US 41 kills pedestrian
- Man surrenders after stand-off in St. James City
- EPA safety testing closes Desoto Middle School
- Interactive play to teach dangers of drug use
- Man accused of shooting neighbor's black Labrador
- Crash kills 3, injures 2 in central Fla.
- Bieber could get new trial date in Florida case
- Florida election a test for Obama health care law
- Injunction for husband of woman who drove in ocean
- FMB holds election for Town Council members