COCOA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say children found a partial human skull while spearfishing in the Banana River.
The discovery was made Saturday evening in an area between Patrick Air Force Base and Cocoa Beach.
Brevard County Sheriff's Office spokesman John Mellick says the skull was in two feet of water some 15 feet offshore. It was missing a jawbone.
Florida Today (http://on.flatoday.com/R9dP980 ) reports a sheriff's dive team conducted a grid search on Sunday but found no additional clues.
The skull has been turned over to the Brevard County Medical Examiner's Office.
Information from: Florida Today (Melbourne, Fla.), http://www.floridatoday.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Friends Mourn Friend Killed in Motor Scooter Crash
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Consumer group flags high SPF ratings on sunscreen
- Hundreds of bikers honor military with Freedom Ride 2013
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th