|Published:||Oct 05, 2012 10:09 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 05, 2012 10:14 AM EDT|
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - A 14-year-old girl who authorities say secretly gave birth to a son and then strangled him, will be prosecuted as an adult.
Cassidy Goodson will appear in court Friday on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse. A Polk County grand jury indicted her on Thursday.
Goodson was arrested Sept. 28 after deputies say she gave birth to a 9.5-pound boy inside a bathroom then strangled him.
Detectives say the girl hid her pregnancy from her family. She gave birth to a boy in the bathroom of her home on Sept. 19. She told detectives she choked the baby and put him in a shoebox.
The girl's mother found the baby in the box, hidden in some laundry. Her lawyer has refused to comment to local media.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school