|Published:||Oct 05, 2012 10:09 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 05, 2012 10:14 AM EDT|
LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - A 14-year-old girl who authorities say secretly gave birth to a son and then strangled him, will be prosecuted as an adult.
Cassidy Goodson will appear in court Friday on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated child abuse. A Polk County grand jury indicted her on Thursday.
Goodson was arrested Sept. 28 after deputies say she gave birth to a 9.5-pound boy inside a bathroom then strangled him.
Detectives say the girl hid her pregnancy from her family. She gave birth to a boy in the bathroom of her home on Sept. 19. She told detectives she choked the baby and put him in a shoebox.
The girl's mother found the baby in the box, hidden in some laundry. Her lawyer has refused to comment to local media.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Charlotte County
- U.S. Rep Connie Mack announces divorce
- Burglary suspect casually takes items from unlocked vehicle
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy
- Gov. warns schools he will fight tuition hikes
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- Naples paddleboard club rides to help Oklahoma