|Published:||Oct 04, 2012 5:10 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 04, 2012 5:10 PM EDT|
BOYNTON BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a Palm Beach County deputy fatally shot a teen after responding to a domestic disturbance.
Sheriff Ric Bradshaw says the deputy killed 18-year-old Michael Camberdella Thursday morning in a gated community near Boynton Beach.
The sheriff says his office responded after several neighbors called to report the teen was attacking his mother. Authorities say the teen, who was armed with a hammer and hedge sheers, ignored repeated commands by the deputy to drop the tools. The deputy reportedly fired after the teen lunged at him.
A family member said Camberdella had a history of mental problems.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Alamo gun range set to open in February in Naples
- Toddler apparently drowned in canal
- Woman charged with DUI, crashing into school bus
- Grace Church's worm farms help students with special needs
- New marina, dry boat storage facility in Cape Coral
- Lehigh family wants schoolbus back
- Rescuers work to herd stranded whales away from SWFL shore
- Florida Supreme Court to discuss medical marijuana Thursday
- Collier County first responders investigate hazmat situation