|Published:||Oct 03, 2012 11:46 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Oct 03, 2012 11:46 AM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- A local man, using credit card information belonging to other people, had his local and overseas illegal business brought to an abrupt halt, following a traffic stop by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office Highway Interdiction Unit.
On September 27th around 8:00 p.m., a detective with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office conducted a traffic stop on a southbound white 2011 Ford Fusion at mile marker 144 on I-75. The driver of the rented vehicle, 31-year-old Alain Bouzi, was nervous and admitted to having marijuana in the vehicle. A search of the vehicle revealed approximately three grams of marijuana along with 111 various gift cards. A further search of the vehicle revealed a laptop and a credit card scanner concealed in the trunk. Fifteen of the cards were confirmed to have stolen credit card information programmed on them. Bouzi admitted to purchasing gift cards and scamming people by selling them empty cards. He stated he also bought credit card numbers in bundles for $30 to $50 a number so they could be used on gift cards. Bouzi stated some of his customers live in Russia.
A search of Bouzi’s residence uncovered additional gift cards and evidence related to credit card fraud. At the home, detectives located approximately 175 additional gift and credit cards and $1,300 cash. The confirmed total value of the gift cards seized was approximately $9,000.
Bouzi was placed under arrest for trafficking 15 fraudulent credit cards and possession of marijuana. These cloned credit cards contained the account information of unsuspecting victims of identity theft who had their accounts compromised from skimming devices. The cloned cards and associated account numbers had a potential loss of tens of thousands of dollars if used as intended.
Bouzi, of 7610 Omni Lane in Fort Myers, was arrested and charged as follows:
-Trafficking in Counterfeited Credit Cards
-Possession and Transfer of Credit-Card-Making Equipment
- FMPD IDs victim in fatal shooting, suspect search continues
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Immokalee man accused of having sex with an 11 y/o
- Police find 2 bodies inside West Palm Beach school
- Fla. school tells students to drop online classes
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- 2 children remain hospitalized after near drowning incidents
- LCSO detectives search for gas station burglary suspect
- Judge sends N. Fla. man to prison for life
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI