|Published:||Sep 30, 2012 10:37 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 30, 2012 11:03 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A Fort Myers family is raising awareness this October for Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
33-year old Melissa Morrison grew up in Fort Myers. But last April, her one-time fiance killed her while she was living in Tampa. Now, her family is hoping their work will start conversations and prevent other families from losing a loved-one.
Julie Noble can't hold back the tears when she describes the event that took her younger sister's life.
"I don't want any other family to have to experience what my family has experienced," he sister, said, "I think that she ended up in the situation because she loved him so much and she thought she could change him. I want women to start to take a stand for themselves before it's too late."
Her father, Larry Morrison, says there were signs of abuse.
"It wasn't a total surprise but we didn't know everything that happened that lead up to it. You're never ready for it," he said.
Throughout October, Melissa's friends and family are teaming up with the Downtown Fort Myers Joe's Crab Shack and Verizon Wireless to collect used cell phones, hoping to give other victims a voice.
"Melissa can't talk and victims who didn't survive can't talk. When they get to that point it's too late," her father said.
Joe's Crab Shack is having several events throughout the month of October that will benefit After the Rain of Southwest Florida, One Way Out ministries, and Hopeline - all organizations dedicated to helping victims of domestic violence.
- Woman's throat slit by daughter's boyfriend, 15
- Doctors find Mesac Damas incompetent to stand trial
- Woman allegedly steals iPhone 5S from Verizon Store
- Vehicle catches fire on Oil Well Rd.
- Salvage crews raise sunken luxury yacht
- Dump truck and car crash on SW 20th Ave.
- CCSO investigates possible link in Waffle House robberies
- Driver in crash that killed Cypress Lake grad was drunk
- FMPD arrests 2, seizes drugs, cash and handgun during search
- Driver suffers serious injuries after causing 3-car crash