POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (AP) - A Broward County Sheriff's motorcycle deputy was killed in a crash in Pompano Beach.
The crash happened Wednesday afternoon.
Sheriff's officials say 47-year-old Christopher Schaub was flown to Broward Health Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale after his motorcycle collided with a Mercedes-Benz at an intersection.
Sheriff Al Lamberti says Schaub's heart gave out six times before he was pronounced dead at 6:45 p.m.
Spokesman Mike Jachles says the driver of the Mercedes was taken to the hospital as a precaution. Schaub was on-duty at the time of the crash.
Schaub was a 22-year veteran of the sheriff's office. His son Timothy Schaub is also a deputy in Broward County.
Officials say funeral arrangements are pending.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lee County deputy & girlfriend arrested on marijuana charges
- FedEx truck hits power lines, catches on fire
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- Federal charges filed against wanted Lee County fugitive
- How life has changed for Fort Myers 2007 lotto winner
- Venturi, US Open champion and CBS analyst, dies
- ABATE Bears for Bears drive under way
- Local bar named Best beach bar in America
- FMPD forced to pay back overtime
- Record tourist season adds 1,700 hospitality jobs in Collier