|Published:||Sep 20, 2012 10:42 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 20, 2012 8:59 PM EDT|
NORTH PORT, Fla.- The North Port Criminal Investigation Unit completed their investigation into the house fire on Duar Terrace where two bodies were discovered back on April 3rd.
The deceased individuals were identified as 8-year-old Michael C. Wisdom and his mother, 43-year-old Carol L. Wisdom.
The investigation, in conjunction with the State Fire Marshal’s Office, concluded that Carol ignited the fire.
The fire was ruled an Arson and Michael’s death is ruled a Homicide. The case will be cleared, due to the death of the offender.
Investigators said Carol put her son in backseat of the car while it was in the garage, poured gasoline and lit a match. It's unclear whether Michael was already dead or unconscious at the time.
Police found a bathtub full of water in the home with the child's wet t-shirt. They speculate that he might have drowned, but his body was too burned to determine.
Carol was found in a kitchen area, right outside the doorway to the garage, with a can of gas and matches. It was determined she died from inhaling flames and smoke.
It is unclear if Carol intended to kill herself or died accidentally. She did not have a history of mental illness.
Carol's ex-husband, who also lives in Sarasota County, was questioned, but was cleared.
(Photo of Carol and Michael provided by the Sun Newspaper)
- Charlotte deputies ID body found in burned garage
- Two arrested in Fort Myers drug bust
- LCSO detectives search for gas station burglary suspect
- Hazmat team responds to chlorine leak at CCI
- Part of Collier Blvd. closed due to downed power line
- Post-recession reinvention: the pet food business
- Dr. Nancy Graham sworn in as Lee County Superintendent
- Lee County Schools want to spend $180,000 on marketing
- Passerby pulls floating 5 year-old from North Naples pond
- Beach-goers keeping an eye on the waves in the Gulf