|Published:||Sep 17, 2012 10:43 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 17, 2012 10:43 AM EDT|
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Military authorities are designating the U.S. Marine Corps Forces Central Command at MacDill Air Force Base as a standalone headquarters.
An event is planned for Monday.
This means that the command - known as MARCENT - will be led by three-star general Lt. Gen. Robert B. Neller.
Previously, the MARCENT commander split time between MacDill and Camp Pendleton in California.
MARCENT in Tampa is responsible for Marine forces operating in the Middle East and Arabian Gulf region, including the Marine forces in Afghanistan. There are about 15,000 military personnel assigned to the command.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Employees owed money after comedy club closes down
- Cape councilman McClain stays
- Gov. Scott leads trade mission to Chile this week
- Lee Tran routes on proposed budget chopping block
- State Board of Education to get legislative update
- Enhanced lightning detection on Sanibel Island
- Spada to host salon & spa event for at-risk girls