ST. PETE BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a man found floating in the water off St. Pete Beach has died.
Rescue crews pulled the man from the water after beachgoers called 911 around 5 p.m. Thursday. Witnesses told the Tampa Bay Times (http://bit.ly/Ongytx ) they lost sight of the man as he went out to sea on a raft.
A firefighter paddled out to the area and found the man face down in the Gulf of Mexico.
Officials say the man was brought back to the beach where rescuers tried to revive him. He died a short time later at a hospital.
The man's name has not been released. No other details were immediately available.
Information from: Tampa Bay (Fla.)Times, http://tampabay.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Florida
- 20-year-old girl dies in Cape Coral scooter crash
- Bikers participate in Collier County 'Freedom Ride'
- Standing room only at 2013 Hurricane Expo
- Start your engines!
- Fla. Gov. will veto 3 percent college tuition hike
- Body of autistic boy vacationing in Fla. is found
- Fla. gov. steps up pace on signing death warrants
- Hundreds of bikers honor military with Freedom Ride 2013
- Click it or Ticket campaign begins May 20th