|Published:||Sep 13, 2012 12:02 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 13, 2012 12:02 AM EDT|
FORT MYERS BEACH, Fla. - Hundreds of people have gotten calls that their travel plans have been cancelled. Key West express told us that all of their cruises are suspended until at least the rest of the month.
Workers at Key West Express were busy fielding phone calls Wednesday, relaying the bad news to 500 customers. Donna Bouwer of Bradenton was one of them. She and her husband planned to celebrate their 39th anniversary this weekend in the Keys.
"She said, oh yes, we are so sorry, we are not going to be sailing, and I said, I have a confirmation, the weather's not bad, what's going on?" Bouwer said. "I told her she had ruined my anniversary, I was so excited, so I'm left with a non-refundable room and this other excursion."
Other travelers took their frustrations to the internet, some getting word of their cancellation just hours before they planned to sail.
A manager was too busy to speak on-camera, but told us the Key West Express will be docked through the end of September. They'd already been operating on a reduced schedule to work on some maintenance issues. But, to bring the vessel to top shape, they need this extra time.
In the meantime, they're helping customers rearrange their plan. It's a big disappointment for Bouwer and her husband... but not enough to wreck their voyage. They'll just drive. "I told them thank you, but no thank you, and I would not be recommending them," Bouwer said. "I understand things happen, it's disappointing, just one of those things."
If your trip has been cancelled, you'll be getting a phone call if you haven't already. They'll either help you reschedule your trip, or offer you a refund within 48 hours.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis