|Published:||Sep 13, 2012 9:49 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 13, 2012 5:40 PM EDT|
LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. - On Thursday, at 8:31 a.m., the Lee County Sheriff's Office received a 911 call in reference to a child, later identified as 12-year-old Devon Royas, being struck by a vehicle. The incident occurred in the area of 68th Street West and Sunshine Boulevard North in Lehigh Acres.
Witnesses at the scene stated the child was walking down a driveway and walked into the road without looking in both directions. A 2004 Toyota Camry was traveling at a slow speed, but was unable to avoid hitting the child who then rolled onto the hood and cracked the windshield. The child had a head injury and road rash. He was conscious and alert when emergency responders arrived and was later treated and released for minor injuries at a local hospital.
The driver has been identified as 41-year-old Marie Auguste. She was not injured.
Traffic deputies have a reminder for parents: Please make sure your children know how to contact you in case of an emergency.
- Woman at center of infamous killing set free
- Public IDs woman accused of stealing from elderly victim
- Motorcyclist injured after crash on Nelson at Tropicana
- Snow forecasted for Golden Gate Community Park Saturday
- Pilot whales change course, move closer to shore
- A song from behind bars: An unlikely story
- So. Fla. US Rep. Garcia joins 24 immigration fast
- Cape Police arrest reckless driver near recent accident site
- FHP investigates fatality on SB I-75 near Corkscrew Rd.
- Deputies arrest student accused of bringing knife to school