LEHIGH ACRES, Fla. - On Thursday, at 8:31 a.m., the Lee County Sheriff's Office received a 911 call in reference to a child, later identified as 12-year-old Devon Royas, being struck by a vehicle. The incident occurred in the area of 68th Street West and Sunshine Boulevard North in Lehigh Acres.
Witnesses at the scene stated the child was walking down a driveway and walked into the road without looking in both directions. A 2004 Toyota Camry was traveling at a slow speed, but was unable to avoid hitting the child who then rolled onto the hood and cracked the windshield. The child had a head injury and road rash. He was conscious and alert when emergency responders arrived and was later treated and released for minor injuries at a local hospital.
The driver has been identified as 41-year-old Marie Auguste. She was not injured.
Traffic deputies have a reminder for parents: Please make sure your children know how to contact you in case of an emergency.
- Lee County deputy & girlfriend arrested on marijuana charges
- FedEx truck hits power lines, catches on fire
- Locked mystery safe found in Charlotte Harbor area
- Suspects on the loose after allegedly robbing Iberia Bank
- CCSO arrests 3, seizes 122 marijuana plants in bust
- Federal charges filed against wanted Lee County fugitive
- Turks & Caicos officials drop charges against 2 US tourists
- Powerball jackpot grows to $600 million
- State regulators suspend Lee County doctor's license
- Panther spotted at Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve