|Published:||Sep 12, 2012 5:53 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 12, 2012 5:53 PM EDT|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Six-time Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson has been formally charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery.
The Broward State Attorney's Office filed the charge Wednesday. Johnson faces up to a year in county jail.
Johnson was arrested last month after his wife accused him of head-butting her during an argument in front of their home. He was later freed on $2,500 bond.
The confrontation came barely a month after Johnson married Evelyn Lozada, who is on the reality TV show "Basketball Wives." The 34-year-old Johnson had been battling for a spot on the Miami Dolphins after a disappointing season with the New England Patriots in 2011.
The Dolphins released Johnson a day after his arrest.
Johnson is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday morning and to file a written plea of not guilty.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fire Dept: Barricaded man couldn't have survived fire
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Southbound I-75 reopens after rollover crash near Colonial
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Crews battle brush fire near Island Park
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- SWFL soldier surprises kids live on WINK News
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- Invalid DL leads to Port Charlotte drug arrest