|Published:||Sep 12, 2012 5:53 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 12, 2012 5:53 PM EDT|
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Six-time Pro Bowl receiver Chad Johnson has been formally charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery.
The Broward State Attorney's Office filed the charge Wednesday. Johnson faces up to a year in county jail.
Johnson was arrested last month after his wife accused him of head-butting her during an argument in front of their home. He was later freed on $2,500 bond.
The confrontation came barely a month after Johnson married Evelyn Lozada, who is on the reality TV show "Basketball Wives." The 34-year-old Johnson had been battling for a spot on the Miami Dolphins after a disappointing season with the New England Patriots in 2011.
The Dolphins released Johnson a day after his arrest.
Johnson is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday morning and to file a written plea of not guilty.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Lottery sales suspended at stores raided for illegal drugs
- Man accused of leaving baby in car no stranger to law
- Realtors and police warn of rental fraud hitting SWFL
- Winter weather delays flights in and out of RSW
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Girlfriend wants charges dropped against Zimmerman
- 3 arrested in stolen exam scheme at FIU
- Miami-Dade Police officer shot, hospitalized
- UNF golfer killed in small plane crash
- Beach renourishment winding down in Naples