|Published:||Sep 11, 2012 10:31 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 11, 2012 10:31 AM EDT|
NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - A Florida woman won a $4.8 million verdict against a former family friend from Michigan who she says stalked and harassed her for more than seven years.
Jurors in Naples on Monday decided 72-year-old James L. Dingwall III should pay 32-year-old Shaliece Delight Hall $1.2 million in compensatory damages and $3.6 million in punitive damages.
The Naples Daily News (http://bit.ly/RGLXaO ) reports Dingwall was a friend of Hall's deceased father. Dingwell didn't show up for the Aug. 31 trial.
He pleaded no contest in 2010 to misdemeanor stalking and cyberstalking charges.
Records show Dingwall sent Hall repeated emails, texts and unwanted porn in addition to showing up at the schools where she taught.
Hall's attorney says Hall's lifestyle and ability to work were restricted by Dingwell's threats.
Information from: Naples Daily News, http://www.naplesnews.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman takes wallet left at Walmart, uses debit card
- Annual 'Red, White & BOOM!' celebration comes to an end
- Redmond: Man charged with spreading HIV wants case dropped
- Elderly Naples man accused of molesting special needs teen
- Mother accused of doing 'whippets' while baby was present
- Family surprises neighbors with 'Random Acts of Kindness'
- A feud between fire and EMS could soon come to an end
- G. Weaver Hipps Elementary collects supplies for foster kids
- Caretaker allegedly takes more than $11,300 from victim
- Lee County school board votes to make school day longer