|Published:||Sep 11, 2012 10:31 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 11, 2012 10:31 AM EDT|
NAPLES, Fla. (AP) - A Florida woman won a $4.8 million verdict against a former family friend from Michigan who she says stalked and harassed her for more than seven years.
Jurors in Naples on Monday decided 72-year-old James L. Dingwall III should pay 32-year-old Shaliece Delight Hall $1.2 million in compensatory damages and $3.6 million in punitive damages.
The Naples Daily News (http://bit.ly/RGLXaO ) reports Dingwall was a friend of Hall's deceased father. Dingwell didn't show up for the Aug. 31 trial.
He pleaded no contest in 2010 to misdemeanor stalking and cyberstalking charges.
Records show Dingwall sent Hall repeated emails, texts and unwanted porn in addition to showing up at the schools where she taught.
Hall's attorney says Hall's lifestyle and ability to work were restricted by Dingwell's threats.
Information from: Naples Daily News, http://www.naplesnews.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Fort Myers criminal defense attorney commits suicide
- Arrest made in Port Charlotte party shooting
- Child killed after being backed over by truck
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Fort Myers Beach Shrimp festival happening this weekend
- Skydiver, pilot treated after midair accident
- Coast Guard: 10 migrants repatriated back to Cuba