|Published:||Sep 06, 2012 3:12 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 06, 2012 3:34 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- A dead manatee was found in the Caloosahatchee River, off Miracle Lane in Fort Myers today, according to the FWC.
A resident called in the discovery this morning.
The 10 to 11-feet-long manatee was picked up just north of the Mid-Point Bridge and is being to transported to the Marine Mammal Pathology lab.
A necropsy will be performed within the next couple of days
Through August 31th, 264 manatees had died in Florida, 51 of which died in Lee County, according to our partners at the News-Press.
(Photo courtesy: Kevin Lollar/news-press.com)
- Man allegedly shoots at family, barricades himself in house
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Southbound I-75 reopens after rollover crash near Colonial
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Crews battle brush fire near Island Park
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend
- SWFL soldier surprises kids live on WINK News