|Published:||Sep 05, 2012 10:20 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 05, 2012 10:20 AM EDT|
BARTOW, Fla. (AP) - A 71-year-old central Florida woman will spend a year on probation after pleading guilty to child abuse charges for beating and biting a student on a Lakeland school bus.
Hattie Yvonne Branch accepted the plea deal Tuesday rather than going to trial. She faced a third-degree felony which carried a maximum five-year prison sentence.
The Ledger of Lakeland (http://bit.ly/Q07bnU ) reports Branch was arrested last year after authorities reviewed video footage of the school bus incident.
Reports indicate the teen tossed a 5-year-old boy over a bus seat and the child's feet struck Branch. That's when authorities say Branch pulled the teen's hair, hit him, bit his back twice and put him in a wresting hold.
Branch told authorities she was defending herself because the teen had bullied and threatened her.
Information from: The Ledger, http://www.theledger.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Investigators: suspect lit flares in attic of Gateway home
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Charlotte County