|Published:||Sep 05, 2012 10:20 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 05, 2012 10:20 AM EDT|
BARTOW, Fla. (AP) - A 71-year-old central Florida woman will spend a year on probation after pleading guilty to child abuse charges for beating and biting a student on a Lakeland school bus.
Hattie Yvonne Branch accepted the plea deal Tuesday rather than going to trial. She faced a third-degree felony which carried a maximum five-year prison sentence.
The Ledger of Lakeland (http://bit.ly/Q07bnU ) reports Branch was arrested last year after authorities reviewed video footage of the school bus incident.
Reports indicate the teen tossed a 5-year-old boy over a bus seat and the child's feet struck Branch. That's when authorities say Branch pulled the teen's hair, hit him, bit his back twice and put him in a wresting hold.
Branch told authorities she was defending herself because the teen had bullied and threatened her.
Information from: The Ledger, http://www.theledger.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Gov. Scott wants to cut auto registration fees
- Men called heroes after pulling man from Golden Gate lake
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Bike run to benefit Toys for Tots this Saturday
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- NASA suspects bad valve for space station trouble
- Chiquita Lock changes operating hours for the holidays
- St. Pete woman accidentally shot boyfriend
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis