|Published:||Sep 03, 2012 10:16 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 03, 2012 11:44 PM EDT|
FORT MYERS, Fl. - The holiday weekend kept water rescue agencies busy responding to calls from boat fires to boats taking on water.
"We're about to do a little fishing right now with buddies from work," says boater, William Spalding.
As boaters like Spalding were rolling out the calls to sea tow dispatchers were rolling in.
"I mean they have been going non stop, call after call after call," says Heather Favrizzi.
Senior dispatcher Heather Favrizzi says just Monday morning, they responded to a boat fire. Since Friday, Sea Tow's six crews have responded to more than 60 calls.
"Fuel drops, grounders, jump starts, tows I mean, you know when it's a really busy weekend because there's a lot of distress calls, I mean people that are taking on water, their boat's on fire, it's been a very busy weekend," she adds.
Favrizzi says they were prepared though, having a safety meeting on Friday and making sure they brought everyone in for what is often one of their busiest weekends of the year.
"All the captains, they are hazmat certified, they are licensed by the Coast Guard, they are CPR certified," she adds.
Shaun Cervenka with the U.S. Coast Guard says they were busy too. They responded to more than 10 distress calls.
"Anything from six persons in the water and their vessel capsizing from a fishing trip 30 miles off shore to two persons in the water in Charlotte Harbor where we had to conduct search patterns found them later on," he says.
- Person of interest in Lehigh Acres killings not alone
- LCSO investigates North Ft. Myers homicide
- 3-year-old allegedly sets Cape Coral apartment fire
- Suspect cuts Punta Gorda horse's mane
- Retired NFL player becomes head coach for NFMHS football
- Victim's parents ask for public's help in finding suspect
- Lee-DOH reports 5 raccoon bites in less than 3 weeks
- Fla man jailed after losing $100 in card game
- Woman allegedly caught on camera taking wallet, using card
- Boy, 4, may have died of bacterial meningitis