CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla.- What a difference a year can make. An 11 year old Charlotte County boy almost died when flames consumed his body. But today, Logan Nelson has made some incredible progress.
A year ago, Logan Nelson was in the Shriner's Chidren's Hospital in Ohio, bandages covering his entire body. But today he's doing everything a healthy eleven year old can do, and his grandparents say it's nothing short of a miracle.
Breakdancing, backflips and bike riding are some of Logan Nelson's favorite things to do. "I can do a lot of things normal now," he said.
It's hard to tell this happy go lucky 11 year old had a brush with death after fire consumed 46 percent of his body.
Today only his scars remain, a permanent reminder of July 18 2011, the day he and two friends played with gasoline. "They poured it into a bowl and they lit it. And I told them to kick it out. And they accidentally kicked it on me. I started screaming," Logan remembered.
It's an image his grandfather Douglas Nelson will never forget. "Logan came running around that bush right there, and he had just dead burnt skin just peeling off his whole body," said Nelson.
Logan was airlifted to Tampa and then to the Shriner's Hospital in Ohio. Through it all both of his grandparents have stayed by his side helping as Logan underwent intense rehabilitation.
"I had to learn things like how to put my socks on again. Put my shoes on again. And all that," he said.
"Just the basic things because they hurt. And even if something didn't actually hurt the fear of pain interfered a lot," said his grandmother Bette Nelson.
She said she never thought her grandson would recover this fast. "For me to see him today, it still brings tears to my eyes," she said.
She says her heart goes out to the community for their support.
As for Logan, he's learned a serious lesson the hard way, and has a message for other kids. "Never play with lighters or gasoline! Or matches or anything like that. And listen to your grandma or grandpa or your parents!" said Logan.
As Logan grows he'll have procedures that put wedges of skin around his joints. They do that by taking the skin off his back.
Just a couple weeks ago, another Charlotte County boy was severely burned after playing with gasoline