|Published:||Sep 01, 2012 10:25 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Sep 03, 2012 11:02 AM EDT|
CHARLOTTE COUNTY, Fla. - New photos have become available of the young mother who lost her life earlier this week.
36-year-old Melanie Beattie crashed her car into the Peace River Bridge, on the Port Charlotte side of the river. According to the Florida Highway Patrol, she walked across the Northbound lanes and jumped over the concrete median.
Witnesses say Beattie then laid down in one of the Southbound lanes. Troopers say that's when five vehicles accidentally ran her over. WINK News has learned Beattie worked at Ann Taylor Loft inside the Edison Mall.
Co-workers told WINK News, Beattie never showed up for work Thursday morning and her husband had called the store looking for her the night she went missing.
Everyone we spoke to said she was a beautiful and wonderful person who loved her kids. Melanie's immediate family told WINK News they are not ready to comment on her death.
Her extended family said they're waiting for answers. Authorities are asking witnesses to step forward. If you saw Beattie prior to the crash, you're asked to contact FHP.
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Fort Myers man arrested in road rage shooting incident
- New video shows Hohensee's anger
- FMPD arrests 10 on drug charges, looking for 9 more
- Beware of Memorial Day scams aimed at military personnel
- Gearing up for summer with Memorial Day travel
- Community comes together for Safety Fair & 5k
- Request to exhume remains from panhandle school rejected
- Communications satellite launched into space
- Fort Myers Dog Show takes over Lee Civic Center