|Published:||Aug 23, 2012 5:26 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 23, 2012 6:24 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- Lee County is lining up some back-up medical helicopters for the suspended Medstar service. The public safety dept. says Bayflight from St. Petersburg, will station a chopper in North Port. And the county wants to get another chopper here.
"We will have the chopper in Northport that will serve the barrier Islands. It will be fast to reach Upper Captiva and those kinds of places. And we are negotiating with AirMed in Labelle, to bring a chopper to our hangar at Page field on a temporary basis," said Kim Dickerson, director of Emergency Medical Services in Lee County.
She made the remarks to the directors of the Lee Memorial Health System, meeting Thursday afternoon.
Lee Memorial is having to hire severasl people to make up for the loss of critical care ground transport, associated with the Medstar program.
Lee shut down Medstar suddenly on Tuesday morning. It let one administrator and three pilots go.
It wants to re-build Medstar and gain national accredidation for airborne medical transport.
It could take six to nine months before Medstar's two choppers are flying again in Lee.
- Barricaded man didn't survive in house fire
- Gateway street still blocked after fire, SWAT situation
- Retired Corrections officer arrested after accident
- Body identified in Fort Myers death investigation
- Neighbors fighting for fire station on Livingston Road
- Comedy show to benefit unpaid employees of Wise Guys
- Tiger has 4 pound hairball removed
- Stranger Danger in Naples
- Homes near sinkhole condemned
- Protecting children on the roads