|Published:||Aug 22, 2012 3:21 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 22, 2012 3:21 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- A Lee County man is in jail after he stiffed a cab driver out of his fare and then attempted to rob him.
On August 21, at approximately 4:30 a.m., deputies were called to the area of Goodwin Street and Orange Court Drive in Bonita Springs. Deputies spoke with the victim, who said he had been dispatched to the Sunoco gas station located at Bonita Beach Road and U.S. 41 to pick up an individual requesting a cab. The individual asked to be taken to his girlfriend's house on Imperial Street, although he was not able to provide an exact address. He instructed the victim where to turn as they traveled several back roads. The victim was told to stop his taxi on Orange Court Drive.
At that point, the suspect asked the victim if he had change for a $100 bill. The victim said he did not. The suspect then grabbed the victim and put him in a headlock, demanding the suspect give him all the money. A struggle ensued at which point the victim was able to wrestle free. The suspect ran out the back door of the cab and escaped into the night.
That escape didn't last long, however. Deputies established a perimeter and quickly located a person matching the physical description provided by the victim. The victim was able to positively identify the suspect as the person who tried to rob him. Deputies arrested 32-year-old Ruben Hernandez, of 5429 Seventh Avenue. Hernandez is charged with Attempted Robbery without a Weapon.
- Human remains found on Shell Point Blvd.
- LCSO investigates a death at Edison State College
- Cape woman suffers serious burns after morning kitchen fire
- Dr. Burke gives last speech before retirement
- Ohio cop, wife face child neglect charge in Fla.
- Lee Dept. of Health offers free pool testing kit
- Fla. woman meets son she gave up for adoption
- Fla. Gov. asked to return money to insurer
- Personal finance expert Suze Orman speaks at UF
- Memorial Day weekend travel expected to mirror last year