|Published:||Aug 22, 2012 11:14 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 22, 2012 11:14 AM EDT|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- Charlotte County Sheriff's deputies arrested a man who stole a television in a box from the Port Charlotte Walmart and fled with it on his bicycle. He was arrested when he crashed into the back of a detective’s vehicle. Jonathan Ryan Fontaine, 32, of 21247 Coulton Avenue, was arrested for Retail Theft and Resisting an Officer.
Walmart security called CCSO at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday after a man stole the 32-inch TV, exited the store, and drove off with it on his bicycle. CCSO Communications broadcast the information and a few minutes later, two detectives responding to another incident observed Fontaine with the TV on his bicycle at U.S. 41 and Midway Boulevard. One detective drove ahead of Fontaine and the other got out of his car and on foot tried to stop Fontaine. When Fontaine turned around to look at the detective chasing him, he was not paying attention, and slammed into the rear of the other detective’s vehicle at 20155 Albury Drive. Fountaine hit his head when he crashed into the car; he was checked out by EMS and medically cleared.
Wal-Mart security arrived and positively identified Fontaine as the man in the store who stole the TV and fled with it on a bicycle. Fontaine was arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail where he remains on $2,000 bond. His bicycle was impounded by CCSO.
- Two dead in Lehigh Acres, LCSO seeking person of interest
- CCSO: Man threatens to shoot deputy during domestic dispute
- Interpreter for deaf at Mandela event called fake
- Mobile home destroyed in North Fort Myers fire
- No plans to remove wreckage from fatal boat crash
- State-of-the-art Fort Myers Regional Library opens its doors
- S Fla biologist recovering after rattlesnake bite
- Judge approves Cape Coral fire assessment
- Salvation Army receives another 'Mimi coin' donation
- 1 suspect in Miami-Dade police manhunt identified