|Published:||Aug 22, 2012 11:14 AM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 22, 2012 11:14 AM EDT|
PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla.- Charlotte County Sheriff's deputies arrested a man who stole a television in a box from the Port Charlotte Walmart and fled with it on his bicycle. He was arrested when he crashed into the back of a detective’s vehicle. Jonathan Ryan Fontaine, 32, of 21247 Coulton Avenue, was arrested for Retail Theft and Resisting an Officer.
Walmart security called CCSO at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday after a man stole the 32-inch TV, exited the store, and drove off with it on his bicycle. CCSO Communications broadcast the information and a few minutes later, two detectives responding to another incident observed Fontaine with the TV on his bicycle at U.S. 41 and Midway Boulevard. One detective drove ahead of Fontaine and the other got out of his car and on foot tried to stop Fontaine. When Fontaine turned around to look at the detective chasing him, he was not paying attention, and slammed into the rear of the other detective’s vehicle at 20155 Albury Drive. Fountaine hit his head when he crashed into the car; he was checked out by EMS and medically cleared.
Wal-Mart security arrived and positively identified Fontaine as the man in the store who stole the TV and fled with it on a bicycle. Fontaine was arrested and transported to the Charlotte County Jail where he remains on $2,000 bond. His bicycle was impounded by CCSO.
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- Charlotte detectives look for suspect in credit card fraud
- Rollover shuts down part of SB I-75 at Colonial
- Report: mother at fault in fatal Alligator Alley crash
- Festival of Dance to feature many genres this weekend
- Fire shuts down Jersey's Sports Cafe
- IRS hits Miccosukee tribe with $170M tax bill
- Invalid DL leads to Port Charlotte drug arrest
- Boil water notice in effect after Cape water main break
- Man accused in 2012 Three Oaks murder appears in court