|Published:||Aug 21, 2012 4:58 PM EDT|
|Updated:||Aug 21, 2012 5:42 PM EDT|
LEE COUNTY, Fla.- A Fort Myers man is out of jail after authorities say he stole more than $88,000 in hospital equipment from Lee Memorial Health Systems sold it on eBay.
Elliot G. Lopez, 35, is a registered nurse at Health Park Medical Center Endoscopy and was arrested Monday.
Deputies were able to link Lopez to the stolen items after a medical supply company bought some of the equipment on eBay. They realized the items were stolen after they looked up the serial number and discovered the property was owned by Lee Memorial.
Lopez's eBay history showed he sold approximately $88,000 worth of equipment stolen from Lee Memorial.
A representative from Lee Memorial said Lopez had been employed since 2003.
The hospital released this statement:
"Lee Memorial Health System expects the very best behavior from our employees, and is distressed when someone does not live up to our standards. The suspect in this case has been arrested and we are cooperating fully with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office in the investigation. To avoid future losses, we will be evaluating our equipment control procedures to see where they can be tightened."
Mary Briggs, APR, CPRC
System Director, Media Relations
- Charlotte Academy student embarassed, mother angry
- FCAT writing results show improvement for Lee students
- Collier deputies arrest 12 y/o girl for library bomb threat
- Dog tests positive for rabies in Charlotte County
- U.S. Rep Connie Mack announces divorce
- Burglary suspect casually takes items from unlocked vehicle
- Lee County pursuit ends in crash in Collier County
- Naples Town Hall Speakers Series suspends 2014 season
- Naples non-profit uses water therapy to help Veterans cope
- FDA warns of infections tied to Tennessee pharmacy